One of the most attractive features of a person is their Hair. Hair care is more than just doing things or going through a set routine. It’s a form of self-care where you get to take a few minutes to understand what your hair needs at a particular time and spend that time taking care of it. This isn’t just another hair care routine, it’s also a time to unwind and can be therapeutic if you choose it to be.
The state of your hair can affect your appearance, the way you feel on the inside, and even your health due to stress from having to worry about the state of your hair. The best hair care routine isn’t always a fixed routine with the same products and applications. Sometimes, your usual hair care routine/steps that work great for you now, may not be what works for you later. Usually, your hair is affected by the environment and even the weather. So, a change in your daily routine and season would affect your hair. All these things need to be taken into account when caring for your hair.
More importantly, your hair type is the most important factor when it comes to finding the best hair care routine. A hair care routine for wavy hair wouldn’t work as great for straight hair. But the hair care routine for men can vary from the hair care routine for women. So, finding the right products for your hair type is very important.
Why Is It Important To Maintain A Hair Care Routine?
Curating hair care products and having a hair care routine or steps that you follow are important. But here are some reasons why you should have a hair care routine. Even though sometimes this routine may need some tweaks and adjustments during different weather. The end result is the same.
Finding the right hair care routine for your hair type during a particular weather is important. Your hair can go from dry and dull looking to shiny and lustrous looking after your routine. As mentioned earlier, sometimes this routine may need to change as the weather changes. Also, if you change your environment, or your daily routine which takes you to places your hair isn’t used to, you may notice some changes in your hair. So, learning what hair products to use when your hair gets some type of way is important.
1. Boost of confidence:
Having healthy hair that doesn’t just look great but also feels great inspires confidence in you. Feeling confident in yourself adds a certainty in you which reflects in your appearance that makes you look incredibly attractive. Having hair you love, not just how it feels but the cut and colour of it has the power to change your entire look.
2. Overall health:
The way you feel on the inside affects you on the outside, and vice versa. Learning to take care of your inner health as well as your outer health is important. Hair care is just as important as skincare and also what you put into your body. All that starts with finding what works best for your hair.
3. Prevents hair problems:
A lot of people have different hair concerns they’re trying to address. Developing a hair care routine with products that address those concerns is just as important as wanting to restore shine to your hair. Sometimes your hair care routine may not be the problem, it can be your application process. Learn hair care dos and don'ts to make sure you aren’t doing anything wrong.
How To Determine Your Hair Type?
1. Straight hair:
This hair type is silky, soft, and has roots that are flat to the ends of the hair. It secretes oil in high amounts. Straight hair can be type 1a, 1b, or 1c which varies in ranges of straightness and thickness. Type 1a is the straightest and 1c is the least straight. Type 1c is the thickest and 1a is the least thick.
2. Wavy hair:
This hair type is slightly curly and it falls between straight hair and curly hair. Wavy hair can be type 2a, 2b, or 2c which ranges in the order of waviness and thickness. That is 2c the waviest and thickest, while 2a is the least wavy and least thick hair type.
3. Curly hair:
With an ‘S’ hair strand pattern, this hair type stretches and bounces back like a spring. Curly hair has types 3a, 3b, and 3c that range in the order of curliness. Type 3a has the least defined curls and 3c has the tightest, and most defined curls.
4. Coily hair:
With a ‘Z’ hair strand pattern that can sometimes have an ‘S’ or zigzag pattern, this has hair types 4a, 4b, and 4c. Because of less amount of oil, the scalp cannot lubricate the hair strands which usually makes it fragile and dry. These hair types range in the range of texture, and wiry strands. That is 4c is the most coarse and has the wiriest hair strands, and 4a has the least coarse texture and wiry hair strands.
Step by Step Hair Care Routine According To Hair Type
1. Straight hair:
Wash your hair 2-3 times weekly with shampoo that is sulphate-free to cleanse your scalp. This will get rid of dirt, grease, and excess oil. If your hair has more grease or more sweat due to workout, then wash it often or daily.
- Avoid leave-in conditioners as they may weigh your hair down. Stick to using a light conditioner.
- Use conditioners with oils like jojoba oil to nourish your hair.
- A texturizing spray or volumizing mousse will lift your hair roots and prevent your hair from looking flat.
- The Revlon Normal to Dry Flex Shampoo is great to cleanse your scalp if you have dry hair.
- Using a weekly mask would renew your hair and reduce dryness.
2. Wavy hair:
Wash your hair every 3-4 days apart and invest in shampoo for wavy hair that is sulphate-free. This will cleanse your scalp and get rid of dirt and grease.
- Oiling your hair 1 hour to 30 minutes before you wash your hair may be a good practice.
- Wavy hair tends to be rough and frizzy at the tips, so hydrate and nourish it with oils.
- Always condition your hair after washing. The Revlon protein conditioner is great for normal to dry hair types.
- A cream curl activator which is light would reduce frizz and set your waves into place.
3. Curly hair:
Wash your hair once every week with a sulphate-free shampoo and condition it every 3-4 days apart to keep it nourished and soft. Apply your shampoo directly to your scalp and rinse off.
- Conditioner is more important than shampoo to prevent frizz and dryness.
- Detangle your hair after you apply your conditioner to prevent hair breakage.
- Apply a curl-enhancing mousse to achieve well-defined curls.
- Get a leave-in conditioner and apply it when needed to get rid of more frizz and dryness between washes.
4. Coily hair:
Mildly wash your hair with a sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner 2-3 days weekly to prevent dryness.
- One hour before you wash your hair, oil your hair.
- Deep-conditioning your hair is a priority for hydration that will prevent dryness and frizz.
- Use an emollient-rich cream for more moisture after washing.
- A curl gel will add definition to your curls.
- To prevent breakage, detangle your hair after you apply your conditioner.
10 Do’s & Don’ts Hair Care Routine
- Do: Find out what hair concerns you have and buy hair products to address those concerns.
- Do: Buy hair care products that are right for your hair and scalp type.
- Do: Use your fingertips to cleanse your scalp gently rather than your nails.
- Do: Wash your hair as often as you think is necessary to get rid of oil/grease in your hair.
- Do: Get a microfibre towel and pat your hair dry.
- Do: Cover your hair when you go swimming to protect it from chemicals.
- Don’t: Dry your hair, after washing, by rubbing it in a towel.
- Don’t: Apply shampoo to your hair strands but rather on your scalp for cleansing.
- Don’t: Put your hair in a bun after washing.
- Don’t: Use chemicals and heat often. Give your hair some break in between.
Revlon has crafted unique hair care products, skincare products, and more makeup products for different hair types, skin types, and skin tones. Revlon has a wide range of hair care products for you and these products are affordable. They are made with ingredients that would work wonders for your hair type. Get these and more at Revlon.
Buy products to add to your hair care routine for men and women with different hair types at Revlon.
Q. Is it good to oil my hair after shampooing?
A: If your hair is more on the dry and frizzy side, then oiling your hair after washing may be a good thing for your hair. Focus on the oil where it is needed. If it’s your scalp that needs the oil or the tips of your hair, focus the oil at those exact places to prevent grease.
Q. Do I need to wash my hair frequently?
A: The number of times you need to wash your hair really depends on your hair type and your daily activities. If you work out daily or sweat a lot, then washing your hair every day can actually be a good thing. If you have dry hair, then washing your hair once every week is good. But if you do wash your hair more than once, remember to limit the use of shampoo and deeply condition more. If you naturally have greasy hair, then wash your hair 2-3 times a week and use dry shampoo on other days that the grease is bearable. But always apply the necessary products after washing depending on your hair type.
Q. What are the necessary hair care products?
A: Shampoo and Conditioner are the most important. But there are others like leave-in conditioners, hair oils/serums, hair masks, hair sprays, hair creams, hair wax, hair gels, and more. You can try Revlon shampoo & Revlon conditioner online.
Q. How can I thicken my hair?
A: There are hair products that help boost the growth of your hair and most of them come in the form of oils and serums. So, apply them an hour before washing your hair. Some of these hair care products can be applied after washing your hair as well.
Q. How do I keep my scalp healthy?
A: Get a sulphate-free shampoo that would cleanse your scalp, nourish it, keep the necessary oil and get rid of excess oil. If your scalp is more on the dry side, then apply the oil directly on your scalp before and/or after the wash. If you have a greasy scalp, then have dry shampoo with you. Also, avoid using your nails on your scalp and use your fingertips instead.
Q. How often should I use a Conditioner for my hair?
A: Conditioner tames your hair making it soft, and is especially effective for those with dry hair. It helps reduce frizz and dryness. Use a conditioner as often as you wash your hair and deeply condition your hair if you have dry hair.Also read what hair colour suits you? Tips to help your clients.