Are you considering changing your hair colour? Colouring your hair can be a fun and exciting way to express yourself and switch up your look. However, with so many types of hair dyes, application methods, and aftercare products available, it can take time to know where to start. This comprehensive guide has compiled tips, tricks, and hacks to help you achieve your dream hair colour.
Understanding Different Types of Hair Dye
There are four main types of hair dye: permanent, semi-permanent, demi-permanent, and temporary. When choosing your hair dye, consider the colour you want, how long you want it to last, and the level of maintenance you're willing to commit to. (1)
Hair Color Tricks
If you're looking for some easy tricks to achieve your desired hair colour, try the following:
- Create a Custom Color by Blending Two Shades: Mix two shades of hair dye to create a tailor-made hue that suits you best.
- Prevent Skin Staining with Conditioner at the Hairline: Apply a layer of conditioner or petroleum jelly around your hairline before colouring to avoid staining your skin.
- Use a Toothbrush for Precise Color Application: A toothbrush is perfect for touch-ups or highlights on small sections of hair.
- Section Hair for Uniform Color Distribution: Divide your hair into manageable sections using clips for even application of hair colour.
- Strand Test: First apply hair color to a single small section of hair to see how the color will turn out. This way you are safe from disastrous results.
- Shower cap: Keep a grocery bag or shower cap handy as this will help process the color faster and prevent it from staining other objects.
- Use Two Mirrors: Coloring your hair alone may be tricky which is why you can use two mirrors to see the area at the back of your head.
- Secondary Colors for Beginners: If you are just starting your hair color journey, it is best, to begin with secondary colors like coral, pink or purple instead of primary colors like red, blue and yellow.
Hair Dye Hacks
Use these hair dye hacks to achieve your desired hair colour and keep it fresh and vibrant:
- DIY Hair Color Remover with Baking Soda and Hair Shampoo: Use baking soda and shampoo to gently remove hair colour without causing damage.
- Keep Your Hair Vibrant with Color-Depositing Shampoos: Use colour-depositing shampoos to maintain your hair's vibrancy between salon visits or touch-ups.
- Extend Your Color Life with Root Touch-Up Products: Use root touch-up products to prolong the life of your hair colour and maintain a well-groomed appearance.
- Colour Your Hair Safely at Home: Wear gloves, use old towels, and shield your skin and clothing from the dye when colouring your hair at home.
- Add Water: Right before you wash your hair, add a little water on your head and massage your hair color together for an even color.
- Roots First: Make sure to apply your color to the hair roots first and then below. This is because your hair is darkest at the roots and needs more color and time to process.
- Avoid Ends While Redyeing: When you are re-dyeing your hair, experts suggest not applying the color on your ends as this can make them look over saturated with color.
Caring for Coloured Hair
Coloured hair needs extra care to keep it looking vibrant and healthy. Use a colour-safe shampoo and conditioner to help maintain your hair's colour and prevent fading. If you have dry or damaged hair, use a hair mask once weekly to hydrate and repair your locks. Protect your hair from the sun and chlorine by wearing a hat or using a leave-in conditioner with SPF. Minimize heat styling tools, which can damage your hair and cause colour fading.
Fixing Hair Color Mistakes
If your hair colour turns out differently than expected, don't panic. Try these hacks to fix common hair colour mistakes:
- Use Purple Colour Shampoo to Neutralize Brassy or Orange Tones: Purple colour shampoo can neutralize brassy or orange tones in your hair.
- Use Hair Color Remover to Lift Uneven Color: A hair colour remover can lift uneven colour and allow you to start again.
- Use Color-Depositing Conditioner to Refresh Faded Color: Color-depositing conditioner can refresh your colour between dye jobs.
Hair Colouring Techniques: Balayage and Ombre
Balayage and ombre are popular hair colouring techniques that create a natural-looking, blended effect. Balayage involves painting the hair in a sweeping motion to create a sun-kissed effect, while ombre involves gradually blending two different shades of colour. These methods work well on various hair types and lengths and require less frequent touch-ups.
In addition to balayage and ombre, other hair colouring techniques like highlights, lowlights, babylights, colour blocking, and ombre can add dimension, depth, and texture to the hair. The choice of technique depends on the desired result, personal style, and hair type.
Using the correct hair colour technique can help you achieve a natural-looking and well-blended effect while adding texture and dimension to your hair.
Hair Coloring for Different Hair Types
Different hair types require different hair colouring techniques and products. Here are some tips for achieving the best results based on your hair type:
- Curly Hair: Curly hair tends to be more fragile and prone to dryness, so it's essential to use a hair dye that's gentle and won't strip the hair of its natural oils. Opt for a demi-permanent hair colour free of harsh chemicals like ammonia and peroxide. Also, avoid heat styling tools and use a sulfate-free shampoo and hair conditioner to keep your curls healthy and bouncy.
- Fine Hair: Fine hair can be challenging to colour because it tends to be more porous and absorb colour unevenly. To avoid patchy results, use a semi-permanent hair colour close to your natural hair colour. Also, avoid over-processing your hair by leaving the dye on too long.
- Thick Hair: Thick hair requires more dye than thin hair, so choosing a product that will cover all of your hair evenly is essential. Consider using a permanent hair colour formulated to penetrate the hair shaft and provide long-lasting colour. However, be careful not to apply too much dye, as it can cause damage to your hair.
- Textured Hair: Textured hair can be coarse and prone to breakage, so choosing a hair colour that's gentle and won't damage your hair is essential. Consider using a demi-permanent hair colour that's free of harsh chemicals and will add shine and moisture to your hair. Also, avoid using heat styling tools and a deep conditioning treatment once a week to keep your hair healthy.
Different hair types require different hair colouring techniques and products. Experiment with various techniques and products to find the perfect match for your hair type and enhance your confidence.
Trending Hair Colors
If you're feeling adventurous and want to try something new, there are many trending hair colours options you can choose from:
Pastel Shades: Pastel hair colours, such as lavender, pink, and blue, have been popular for several years. These colours work well on light blonde or bleached hair and can be achieved with a semi-permanent or temporary hair dye. Use a colour-depositing shampoo and conditioner to maintain the colour and avoid heat-styling tools.
Bright Hues: Bright hair colours, such as neon green, orange, and yellow, are perfect for those who want to make a statement. These colours best suit those with light blonde or bleached hair and can be achieved with a semi-permanent or temporary hair dye. Use a colour-safe shampoo and conditioner to keep the colour vibrant and avoid exposing your hair to direct sunlight.
Natural-Looking Tones: If you prefer a more natural-looking hair colour, try balayage or ombre techniques. These techniques create a blended effect by gradually lightening the ends of your hair. Balayage is a freehand technique that creates a more subtle effect, while ombre is a dramatic effect achieved by blending two different colours. These techniques work well on all hair types and can be customized to suit your style.
When choosing a hair colour, consider your skin tone, natural hair colour, and lifestyle. If you need help deciding which colour to choose, consult a professional hairstylist who can recommend a colour that complements your features and personality.
Changing your hair colour can be a fun and exciting way to express yourself and switch up your look. With so many types of hair dyes and application methods available, it's important to choose the right one for your desired result and level of maintenance. Use these tips, tricks, and hacks to achieve your dream hair colour and keep it looking vibrant and healthy. Remember to take care of your coloured hair using colour-safe products and minimizing heat styling to avoid damage and fading. And if you make a mistake, don't worry – there are always ways to fix it and start again.
Ready to achieve your dream hair colour? Explore Revlon India's wide range of professional hair colour products and achieve salon-like results at home. Revlon India has everything you need to create your perfect look, from permanent hair colour to semi-permanent hair and root touch-up products. Visit Revlon India to discover the perfect shade for you!
Q. How can I make my hair color more effective?
A: There are several tricks to make your hair color last longer and look brighter. For example, you can use color protection shampoos to keep your color bright.
Q. Can I wash my hair 24 hours after hair color it?
A: Yes, you can surely wash your hair as often as you want after coloring. However, you need to rinse off the color within 30-45 minutes.
Q. Is it OK to shampoo hair after coloring?
A: It is advised to shampoo 72 hours after hair coloring because your roots take some time to close the cuticles and settle the color.
Q. What shampoo to use after coloring hair?
A: You should use a sulphate-free and color protection shampoo after coloring your hair.
Q. What is a color safe shampoo?
A: The Revlon ColorStay color protection shampoo is the ideal nourishing shampoo to keep your tresses bright and colorful for a longer time.
Q. Do I need special shampoo for colored hair?
A: Yes, you should use a hydrating and sulphate-free color protection shampoo after coloring your hair.