A foundation can make all the difference in elevating your makeup and providing an even complexion to your skin while hiding blemishes. A foundation can be called the holy grail or the base for perfect makeup, but it is equally important to pick the right foundation for the job. If you are wondering how to choose foundation shade, it can be a bit tricky, but with our tips on different shades of foundation, you can quickly become a pro.
How To Find Your Skin Tone?
Your skin undertone largely determines the shades of makeup that you can use, which is why it is important to determine your skin undertone before moving on to your skin type. If they appear greenish, you have a warm undertone, and if you are not sure of the colour of the veins, you likely have a neutral undertone. This is the easiest way to determine your skin undertone, now you can select a shade of foundation to use according to it.
How To Identify Your Skin Undertone:
- Warm skin undertone: You can determine your skin undertone by checking the veins on the underside of your wrist. If your veins appear greenish, you have a warm undertone.
- Neutral skin undertone: If you can't figure out the exact colour of the veins from your skin, you likely have a neutral undertone.
- Cool skin undertone: If the veins appear blue, you have a cool undertone. The skin undertone determines your foundation shade. If you want to know how to choose foundation makeup for beginners, this is the easiest way.
How To Choose Foundation Shade According To Skin Tone?
Now that you know your skin tone or undertone, you can determine the shade of foundation to be chosen:
-Warm skin tone: For those with a warm skin complexion, you can go for a shade of foundation with peach, yellow or golden undertones, as these will look dazzling on your skin.
-Neutral skin tone: Those with neutral skin tones should pick a foundation shade with pink and golden undertones, which is a combination of both warm and cool undertones.
-Cool skin tone: You should pick a foundation with a pink undertone, which will look lovely and rosy against your cool skin tone.
How To Choose Foundation According to Skin Type?
Picking the right makeup foundation doesn't just depend on the skin tone, but also on the skin type, which can range from dry to oily and combination.
-Sensitive skin type: For those with sensitive skin that easily gets irritated and itchy or develops rashes, you need to avoid certain ingredients such as fragrances, alcohol, mineral oil and talc.
- Dry skin tone: You need to choose a hydrating foundation, or go with a liquid foundation if you have extremely dry skin. These will provide moisture to your skin and keep it hydrated.
- Oily skin type: You can use powder foundations that will absorb the moisture, or go with oil-free liquid foundations to prevent excess oil buildup on your skin.
- Combination skin tone: This can be a tricky skin type because your skin is dry in some places and oily in others. You need to avoid formulations with emollients or oil-rich formulas that will trigger your skin.
We hope how to choose foundation shade may have become easier for you now that you know the tricks. Foundation shades can be confusing, but if you know your skin tone, you can easily pick one that suits your skin wonderfully. Revlon India has a luxurious range of powder and liquid foundations available in a number of shades so you can get the best one for your skin.
Q. Should a foundation be lighter or darker than concealer?
A: Face concealer should be a shade lighter than foundation which helps easy blending of the product.
Q. How to choose a face foundation for beginners?
A: Firstly, you need to determine your skin type, whether your skin is oily, dry, sensitive or combination. This helps you choose the ingredients for the foundation. Then you can choose the foundation shades based on your skin tone.
Q. Which shade of foundation should I use?
A: You should go for a shade of foundation that is slightly lighter than your skin tone, rather than darker. This will help in easy blending.